Getting started

I would like to get started in sAiling but am confused about what all I need to buy. Other than usual wood wofrking tools and materials, what parts do I need to build a complete radio controlled unit?

I am interested in building the "America's Cup" but don't know what comprises a complete electronics and motor package. Any help you can offer will be most appreciated.

Stan

Replies

• I did an image search for the boat I was building just to see what other people had. It was helpful to see the techniques they used too. The 2.4Ghz radio systems seem to be the best bet these days. With these you don't have to worry about somebody else being on the same frequency and interfering with your model. Radios can run $25 and up so there is something for every budget.

• We have an extensive list for what is required when building a Soling 1 Meter, plus basics for new people on our Western Reserve Model Yacht Club website: WRMYC.com

Go to "WRMYC Downloads", (left top corner).

Regardless of which Victor boat you are building the techniques and products would be very similar- if you are building a much smaller boat (Soling Half Meter, V-32 etc.) you would use a smaller sail servo ("Winch"), but otherwise everything should be useful to you.